Tuesday, October 23, 2012

{playing dress up}


I feel led to share more with you all than just my outfits today. I want to talk a little bit about my body.

Yikes. Here goes...

I've been participating in WIWW for over a year now, and for a long time I was posting full outfit photos. You might have noticed that I stopped doing that recently and stared using only phone camera and Instagram shots. Part of that was to save myself time, and have the ability to snap my outfit photos in a few seconds from anywhere I wanted. But the other reason for that goes much deeper.

One week I took an outfit photo that wasn't flattering AT.ALL. I looked at that photo and felt so horrible about my body that I started doubting why I was taking these photos. I became very self-conscious and figured if I took only phone shots, I could share the best snippets of my outfit and leave out my twin birthing hips and belly {which are a daily source of body image anxiety for me}.

Sure...the collaged Instagram photos are fun. You can add filters and make them look all artistic. And I'm not going to stop doing them. I have one this week in fact. But I am going to start sharing some more full outfit shots when I have the time.

I know some of you might be rolling your eyes at me...thinking there isn't a reason why I should have body image issues.

Let me just tell you...I know I'm on the thinner side than most women, and I'm thankful for that. I'm 5'9" and weigh 160 pounds on a good day. I wear anything from a size 10-14 in most clothing.

Before I had my boys I was about 150 pounds with a cute little flat stomach and a chest that barely filled out a size B bra. Now I'm into the D range and my stomach bares the signs of carrying 14 pounds of baby.

I have to admit that I struggle daily with how pregnancy changed my body. No matter how "thin" you are...there can always be reasons to feel insecure. I think I just felt the need to put this out there and say that I want to share the best outfits with you I can...the best photos...but I also want you to know that I'm a real woman with a belly that jiggles and today I'm wearing size 14 pants.

And that's OK. :)

And now for my outfits from the past week...

Friday is my favorite because I wore my new Kohl's scarf...
{I was going to link to it but I can't find it on the website anymore...boo}
Kohl's sweater, boots & scarf // Meijer top // TJ Maxx skinnies

Saturday...wore the scarf again because I LOVE it! :)
Kohl's skinnies, scarf & flats // cardigan c/o maurices // Meijer top // Etsy necklace

Sunday...
Target top via Ebay // Kohl's skinnies & flats // Meijer necklace

Monday...
Kohl's top, scarf & boots // Old Navy skirt via Ebay // cardigan c/o maurices

Today...
Thrifted top & cords // F21 necklace {refashioned} // Charming Charlie rings // maurices flats

I would love to hear how you all deal with your body image issues..because let's face it...we all have them. Let's support each other in the comments!

Linking up with...

pleated poppy
Wardrobe Wednesday @ Create Hope Inspire
Casual Friday @ Two Thirty-Five Designs
Sunday Style @ Modern Modest Beauty
Whatever Whenever Wednesday @ Rolled Up Pretty
What We Wore, Read & Made Linky Party @ Rae Gun Ramblings


post signature

13 comments:

Kathleen said...

I completely understand. I'm on the smaller side too, but recently have gained a bit of weight and it's been hard for me. I rarely share that with anyone because they scoff and say things like I should be lucky to still be so small, I have nothing to complain about about, etc. I tend to only share my concerns about my body with those who are very very close to me. They'll be honest without being patronizing.

So I won't repeat that same stuff to you, I will say that you are a beautiful person, though. And that you are allowed to be bummed about stuff too :)

Anonymous said...

Weight is just so hard. Everything about it. My struggle now that I'm pregnant is that it's hard on my mind to see the weight gain even though its coming along with pregnancy. I expected a lot of things with pregnancy, but not this. I worked soooooo hard to lose weight that I'd put on over the years and was very content with my weight for the first time in decades right before pregnancy happened. The good news is two-part: I LOVE being pregnant and I know that I'll be able to get back to a smaller size because of the healthy habits that are so much a part of my life now when the time comes. For now I'll just try to enjoy my gaining weight for the first time ever. I'm not complaining, because I know so many women would give anything to be in my (soon to be snug) shoes. But, it's been an experience I just didn't expect.

Weight struggles, like every other struggle, are relative. We all only know our experience, and if that feels difficult, then regardless of other people's struggles, it's difficult in my book. For what it's worth, you're gorgeous! Abs and, you're brave for telling your story!

angiesparkles :)

Anonymous said...

Mandy,
It's funny what you see and what "we" see. I always noticed your gorgeous skin and hair! I prefer the full length shots for inspirational reasons. I too am carrying 10 extra lbs from having two kiddos although not twins!

Nicky said...

It's easy to be hard on ourselves and it's easy to be critical of our bodies... but it's NOT EASY to be so candid and gracious. You are awesome. And I love this post. We all have something that we hate about bodies... don't let anyone tell you different.

xoxo Nicky

Mandy said...

you are not alone sister! first off i want to say i think you are super cute and you always look great in your pics! ;) i hear what you are saying though. i feel the same way about my body. fall is my favorite cause i love layering! helps me feel concealed.
cyber hug!

Anonymous said...

I noticed two things that I should add after writing a response from my phone :) 1) I knew I'd gain weight with pregnancy, I just didn't think that it would be emotionally "hard" to do so. That has been the experience I didn't expect. And 2) I don't know why it said "Abs" on the last line, I meant to just say "And you're brave for telling your story!"

There, I feel better. :)

angiesparkles again :)

Crystal said...

I agree with Kathleen. I'm pretty small(and short) too and I had no idea it'd be this emotionally hard to have a post pregnancy belly since never having a belly before. You look great! It's okay to feel that way but us smaller girls understand what you mean too. At least you kept your boobs! I was an A before having her and a C while breastfeeding. After weaning I'm now a -A... Sigh

Mandy @ This Girl's Life said...

@Kathleen - thank you for your encouraging words and hugs to you too - we are all too hard on ourselves. I am always inspired by your outfit posts and you are so lovely, inside and out!

@Nicky - Thank you and you are awesome too!! xoxo

@Mandy - Yes! Layers are our friend! :)

@Anonymous - Thank you, and maybe we should just make it a requirement for all women to carry 10 extra "baby" pounds? ;)

@Crystal - Hugs to you - we are in this together! Isn't it weird how some women's boobs get larger and some go away after baby/bfing? So strange...you never know what you're going to get!

@Angie - thanks so much for your thoughtful and honest reply. I know that if I were to get pregnant again, I would have the same conflicting feelings about weight gain. And thanks for validating that its OK for me to feel this way! {hugs}

Anonymous said...

I never would have guessed that today's pants were a 14. You look great!

DianeTaylor said...

What a GREAT topic, Mandy, for today's WIWW. As the other sweet commenters have already said - you always look amazing to me. Your smile and hair and skin always look flawless! But yes - what we see is quite different from the rest of the world. I think I have struggled with my weight since I was born - ok not really but since I was little. I am a big girl and have always been in between sizes 10-14. Last year at this time I was a 14 and joined a biggest loser contest and lost 21 pounds - and then life changed in the blink of an eye. I stopped caring about my appearance - and all that hard earned weight loss is now back. I know why I stopped caring - but I also know that my son would be SO MAD at me for doing this to myself after I worked so hard to get in shape again.

But today - I am giving myself a break - it's ok be to a size 14!! I am working on my mental state - and hopefully my physical state will improve along with that.

Thanks for sharing your feelings with your readers.

~dt~

Jodi said...

Bring on the full length pics again - you look great! :) The collages are fun too though so... do whatever you want ;) I feel EXACTLY the same way as you ALL the time about my weight so I can fully empathize.

~julee~ said...

You are beautiful.

Miriam said...

Love this post and your honesty also I think you look amazing in your ensembles . I love the way yo layer. Thanks for joining in with wardrobe weds

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...