Monday, November 25, 2013

{5-year-old magic}


"Is Santa Claus real Mom?" 

The question came without any warning...no time for me to come up with a response that wasn't a lie but didn't tell him the truth either.

We sat snuggled on the couch, coffee in my hand, soft fleece blankets wrapped underneath our feet, The Polar Express playing on the TV.

That question hit me like a ton of bricks...THIS might be THE Christmas.

The most magical one we'll have with the boys. The wonder is still there...Santa is still real to them. Listening for the sound of reindeer hooves on the roof on Christmas Eve. Looking up the chimney to see if a pair of black, soot-covered boots are dangling down. Using Santa as a reason for them to behave extra-well in December. I know we aren't the only ones that do this. 

Next year all of that might be stuff for little kids. They will be 6 and maybe too grow up for Santa and all of the Christmas magic.

I'm hoping we might be able to squeeze out one more year...but just in case I'm going to soak up every single minute of it with them this year.

We went shopping for Christmas craft supplies over the weekend. Snow globes and pipe cleaner ornaments are on the list. We watched Christmas shows and I sorted through all of their books to make a pile of Christmas favorites.

Last night we read The Grinch and I think I enjoyed it even more than they did.

And we put up their little tree next to their bunkbeds. {Still adjusting to THAT.}

The fact that they are taller than their tree now isn't lost on me...



The ornaments of their tiny two-year-old hands...


And then for an hour after decorating their tree, they took turns playing Santa, wearing Landon's astronaut suit. Apparently Santa is from outer space. One of them would act like they were sleeping and the other would bring in a toy and give it to them. Then they would hug and say thank you. Can you say precious x 1,000,000?

I really just want to bottle up this magic so I can save it for the Christmases when this childlike innocence is long gone, and take a few sips each year to remind myself of this five-year-old Christmas and how special it is. There is nothing like it in the world. And I am blessed for getting to experience it.

{And if you are wondering...I never answered his question.}

XO,
post signature

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...