Monday, August 22, 2011

{DIY t-shirt scarf}

I did it friends. Yesterday I actually took a project that I had pinned and made it!

On Friday's love list I shared my slight obsessions with t-shirt related crafts. I decided yesterday that I was going to give the t-shirt scarf a try with a cute but unworn Old Navy tee that had been buried in my dresser for far too long.

Old Navy t-shirt with sleeves that cut off my circulation...


Get ready to meet my scissors.

{Here is the tutorial I used to create this super simple scarf.}

I started out by laying the t-shirt flat on the floor. Then I cut off the bottom hem. I marked off 1 inch increments and made starter cuts along the side of the shirt. It helped that I was using a striped shirt - instant cutting lines!


Once I was done cutting the shirt into strips I had 12 {or so} to work with.


I stretched them all out and then gathered them all with the seam in the same place. {this project works the best with a t-shirt that has no side seams, but you work with what you got.}


Then I cut off one of the sleeve cuffs and used that to hide the seams.


I rolled it around and secured it with fabric glue.


And voila!


I love how you can still see the stripes. It turned out just as I had imagined...

{Minus the other pesky seams...grrrr}

I would have covered both seams but since some of the loops were longer than others, they didn't match up on the other side. But they can be easily hidden for a smoother look once you put it on and wrap it around your neck twice like so...


What do you think? Not bad for a free project that used an ill fitting shirt, fabric scissors, a dab of glue, and about 30 minutes of my time!


And while I was at it I thought...hey...those sleeves would probably make cute bracelets!

So I used the same steps on the sleeve...


And ended up with this...


I think the bracelet would be super cute dressed up with a felt flower or some beads. You could also cut one end of the loops open and braid them like in this tutorial. Add that to my list of future projects.

Did you DIY anything over the weekend? I would love to hear about it!

post signature

23 comments:

Bethany said...

Turned out cute! I should work on completing something I've pinned, too!

Ruth Yoder said...

very awesome! i'd like to try this one day soon

Nicky said...

FANTASTIC!

I've been wanting to do this... I love the tonal strip in your shirt... it makes it even better!

;-)

Beth said...

Very cute, and congratulations for actually making something that you pinned:)! I did make a snack for my kids that I had pinned and was so proud of myself. Now for all of those other pins....someday!
Beth

Sara said...

SO SO SO cute!! Would love to have you link up at my brand new turquoise linky party! ;)

Marie said...

What a great idea! I'm co-hosting a link party on Wednesday at southernlovely.blogspot.com. I'd love it if you'd come link up with us!

See you soon!
Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

MusicalMommy said...

I've seen it before, but nice choice of the stripes, it just makes it look like you did two different shirts and it was less work. :) kudos!

Amy said...

This looks great! I keep meaning to get around to making one of these.. I have maybe five or six that I actually bought a couple of years ago, but I want to make my own, too. They are so easy, so I have no idea why I haven't done it yet! I love the colors in the shirt you used.

Anonymous said...

Those both turned out so cute! I love the fabric!

Sweetwater Style said...

Love this idea....I will look at t-shirts at Goodwill in a whole new way. Thanks for showing us how!

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

Are you kidding me??? You turned an old tshirt into the cutest scarf and bracelet. LOVE it!!!

I have a new linky party going on at my place that is all things DIY fashion...this project would be perfect to link up to DIY Diva Thursdays. I would LOVE to have you over :)

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

Anonymous said...

I have an aversion to scarfs (don't ask), but I LOVE that bracelet! Oh my goodness! I'm thinking of what I could cut up in my closet to make one right now! haha! I saw your post on A Bowl Full of Lemons and wanted to say hi!

~Kristi

Unknown said...

Very cute! I need to make some of these.

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

What a great idea! Love it!!
I would love it if you shared this at {nifty thrifty sunday}!
Hope to see you there!
xoxo,
Vanessa

Lindsay said...

Thanks for linking up at Show & Share! I LOVE this idea! Super cute & creative!

Lindsay said...

This turned out so cute. I love the shirt you used too! And what a smartie you are making a bracelet out of the sleeve!!
Littlemudpies.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I just made two pink ones for Breast Cancer Awareness next month! Thanks for the idea Mandy!!

Rose and Heather said...

love this! I like that you even did a bracelet!
We would love to have you come link up to our party, Crafty Lassie Tuesday.
www.sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com
We are having a giveaway! Hope to see you there :)
Thanks!
Heather & Rose

Chef in Training said...

how fun! this is a great idea!

I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training! Plus there is a fun giveaway too! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com

Mariah Magagnotti said...

Just used your tutorial and made myself a scarf. Super cute! Thanks for posting this!

Keesha said...

I just made one of these! I've been saying "I would love to!..." For so long, I figured I should just do it. I used an old tyedye t-shirt I never wear anymore and it turned out beautiful. However, I love those stripes! I may have to find a striped t of my own. ;)

Unknown said...

nicely done!!! thank you for posting! I had recently spent a lot of money on a scarf like this before I realized I should have Googled for DIY tips! I was a little intimidated coz I don't have/know how to use a sewing machine and your post made it look doable and gave me confidence!

Unknown said...

good idea! the scarf and bracelet look good. thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...