Sunday, May 29, 2011

{Despicable Three!}

Birthday hangover.

We have it.

The boys had their "Despicable Three!" birthday party yesterday and we had lots of family over to help us celebrate.

Wow...three years as parents of twins. Amazing how far we've come.

From these little guys...


To these handsome little boys...


But now for the birthday fun! The boys have loved Despicable Me for awhile now, so that was the theme I picked for their party. With a tight budget, I had to get creative with the decorations and the cake, and I have to say that I'm really proud of how it turned out. It is super hard to find Despicable Me party stuff, so most of the items were DIY. I did find a great poster on Amazon for $5 to go over the fireplace...


And I made the banner with simple cardstock and images I found online.


Our fireplace is in need of a major makeover so it was nice to give it some life with the banner and streamers.

What I was most excited about was their cupcake stand and the cupcakes themselves. I DIY'd the stand using a Martha Stewart cupcake stand kit from Joann Fabric...


I enlarged a moon image I found online for each tier, and added some cardstock I had left over from the banner to fill in the gaps. I also covered the {a bit too girly} scalloped border with ribbon to boy it up a little, and to add some color. This project was a little time intensive but totally worth it.


And now for the cupcakes! I created toppers for them with images from the movie...Mr. Gru, Vector, the girls, and of course, the minions. And for the top I made four minion cupcakes using twinkies {thanks to an awesome photo/tutorial I found online}.

Here are the minions in progress...the eyes are white smarties :)


And here they are on the cupcakes!

They turned out so darn cute...

The guy on the far left was my favorite. And here is a better look at the toppers...

The boys enjoyed them...

{just a little tip...that blue icing STAINS like crazy! I had blue fingers all day. :) }

And if you didn't already notice, the boys also sported custom t-shirts for the big shindig. So far for each birthday I have made them shirts and it is a fun tradition I would like to continue...as long as they think it is cool anyway. :)
The fronts of the shirts...



And the backs {with popular lines from the movie}...

I created the images with clip art and Adobe Photoshop Elements, and used iron-on transfer paper. Easy peasy!

And just for fun a couple more pics from the party...





The boys will officially be three tomorrow. Definitely feeling very sentimental of how far we have come, and proud of how they have grown over the past three years. 


Linked up with...








Todays Creative Blog

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything is so adorable Mandy!! I LOVE thecupcakes! HOW are they three already?!!! They're so precious and growing so fast!

Lesley said...

Wow! What an amazing job you guys did!
Those cupcakes are da bomb! What a great idea♥

Mandy Ford Art & Illustration said...

Thanks Jenessa...it is really hard to believe!

Mandy Ford Art & Illustration said...

Thanks Leslie - the cupcakes were so much fun. :)

Heather Ozee said...

Hi Mandy,
I just posted a link to your blog with a nod to your great work on that party on my facebook fanpage. Hugs!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Heather-Ozee-Designs/208865955807377

Beth @ UnskinnyBoppy said...

I love this party idea so much, MB! You rocked it out girly! I know Landon and Ben loved it too. :hug

Unknown said...

What a fantastic party! I'm sure your little guys had a blast. And those cake toppers...TOO CUTE!

Thrifty Crafty Girl said...

Love the 'Despicable Three' theme! Adorable!

The Party Animal said...

OMG the cupcakes are adorable !!! I think you may have used my Minion Twinkie Tutorial here: http://wp.me/puiNm-2Ht - I love how you used them on Cupcakes - Brilliant !!!

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

AHHHH Mandy, this is soooo adorable. WHat a great theme, Despicable THREE, that is awesome.

Your cupcakes are so cute, and your boys are simply darling. I can only imagine having twins, you go girl, super mom over there!!!

Thank you so much for linking up to my new ULTIMATE PARTY PLANNING Link Party. If you don't mind me asking, how did you find me? I am always SO happy to have new people checking out my blog, and I was just curious. YAY, I really hope you stop by often to say hi, and don't forget all other projects, can always be shared at **AMAZE ME AUGUST** @ Bella Before and After

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Totally awesome, THANKS for sharing. I am so happy you did.

Hugs, Bella :)
ULTIMATE PARTY PLANNING Link Party.

Steph said...

I featured your minion cupcakes on my blog under the recipe/craft section with your blog button! LOVE them! They are TOO CUTE!
~Steph
http://www.debtfreespending.com/p/crafts-and-recipes.html

Out on a limb said...

Hey Mandy!
I thought those cupcakes and cupcake stand were so cute that I posted it onto my blog!
You can see it here

http://missyellowshoes.blogspot.com/2011/07/things-im-in-love-with-part-2.html

Keep up the good work and stay creative!

Miss Yellow Shoes

Charley29 said...

despicable looks like tater. :) this is so cute,

christina d. said...

This is wonderful! I have twin boys that are turning 2 in a couple of weeks and we just decided on a Despicable Me theme and here you are! My boys are obsessed with this movie and you've totally made this party so much easier for me! And I think I can even recruit my daughters to help with the sign! Thanks for the great ideas!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful posts. I have been following you for a even though on my rss reader, thought i would make the effort to say THANK YOU nowadays.

Julia said...

Super cute! I want to make shirts for my boys this year. How did you do it?

The Green Bride Guide said...

Would you be interested in selling me your d three banner? If so - email me at kate@greenmomguide.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...