Wednesday, November 28, 2012

{decked out Christmas trees}


You all, I am in a crafting ZONE this year.

I mean, I always like crafting. But for some reason, I'm in the middle of some super crafting force field right now. And I'm LOVING it. :)

One project I finished up over the weekend was for our Christmas mantel. I knew I wanted to do something new this year, and our mantel is a challenge because it is only a few inches deep. When I spotted these MDF Christmas trees at Hobby Lobby {aka craft heaven}, I knew I had found what I was looking for...



So I got out some paint and glitter and decked them out for Christmas!


This was a super easy and affordable project. The trees were 5.99 each and were 50% off when I bought them so they were only $3 each. I bought one small bottle of acryclic craft paint and the other supplies I already owned. So this project totaled about $7.

I used paint and glitter on both trees, but used to different techniques on them. For the green tree I started by painting it...

Then I used some mod podge and the lid of a chapstick as a stamp to make polka dots, immediately sprinkling glitter over the dots...




For the silver tree, I used a metallic acrylic paint...


And a glue pen...

I drew scallops on the tree with the glue pen and used the sprinkled a generous amount of the glitter over the glue...


Once both of the trees were dry I had this!



I can't wait to show you how they look on the completed Christmas mantel, but you'll have to wait a bit for that.  I know...I'm such a tease. ;)

Have you been working on any holiday crafts? I'd love to see them!

Linking up with...

Redhead Can Decorate

post signature

8 comments:

Four Marrs and One Venus said...

Mandy! Love them! Those trees are looking mighty fine! Thanks for hooking them up over at the No Rules Christmas party!!
Jen

Sophie @TheForge said...

super cute and so easy to do!! I love glitter but not the fact that it seriously sticks to everything ;) oh well!

Mandy said...

super cute! just love them!!!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

What a neat idea! They look great. Megan

Katie Drane said...

What a fun project and they look great!

Katie
www.funhomethings.com

Ruth said...

Super cute trees. How fun to find something to fit your mantel so well.
Ruth

Mariel said...

So cute! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Tuesday - Saturday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

Unknown said...

These trees are super cute and I love that they are easy to create! I can't believe I haven't seen these trees in Hobby Lobby - as much as I'm there. Next time, I'm gonna definitely look for them. Great idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...