Saturday, July 16, 2011

{Swedish island}

We are now the proud owners of our very own private island.

Sometimes I relax there several times a day. It is really fabulous.

It is actually a Swedish island...no sand or palm trees. But it is a great spot to prep our dinner or sit and enjoy a snack...



I'm sure you figured this out by now, but our little Swedish island came from IKEA. It was a super simple and affordable DIY project that the hubby thought up and put together for us last week.

It consists of a premade desk top and two white trestle bases, both of which can be found in IKEA's home office section.


It is the perfect spot for the hubby's Paula Deen cutting board, our most used utensils, a cute white IKEA pot with the boys' little forks and spoons, and a few glass bottles waiting to house some spices.



The trestles are adjustable, so down the road when we can afford a kitchen remodel and add a built-in island, we can re-purpose it as a desk {or craft table...I have ulterior motives of course.}


The stools are also from IKEA, and we are very happy so far with the quality and comfort. The boys can even climb up onto them without much trouble. Ben loves to sit here and eat his snacks.


The most exciting thing, other than the great look and function of the island, is the cost! The island components came in at a total of $100, and the stools were $30 each. So for $!60, we gained a lot more counter space and a place to sit and enjoy breakfast or a snack.


And now I really, really need to do something with those kitchen cabinets. And the backsplash. But I'm stumped on paint colors. Any suggestions?

post signature

9 comments:

Emily said...

I just found your blog and wanted to tell you the island looks great! Gotta love Ikea!

Debra said...

Great idea! It looks great and to be useful is a bonus. I love white cabinets - I would paint the bottom ones white and maybe change out the hardward - it would be a big change.

Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

I love the new island! I am such a huge fan of Ikea. We are in the middle of installing an Ikea kitchen and we have a number of pieces of furniture from there. Looks great! I'm a new follower!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Love your Swedish Island :)

And guess what? I'm also a 30-something mom of twins!

DianeTaylor said...

That island ROCKS - and so does your hubby :) I wish my kitches was big enough for this. What a perfect littile spot for coffee in the morning!

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

brilliant idea!! it looks great.

Sincerely Abi said...

Great work! What a lovely (and affordable) way to add an island!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

This is so innovative! Love it!

Warmly, Michelle

the cape on the corner said...

what a great use of space! your kitchen can definitely handle this piece. i have major island envy right now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...