Saturday, July 02, 2011

{thanks for the memories}

I let go of something today that I didn't think I would ever be able to.

About seven years ago, after my Grandpa passed away and we had to move my Grandma into a nursing home, we helped my parents clean out their house. We brought home a lot of their things {a car full actually!}, but my favorite was their dining room table.

My Grandpa stripped and refinished it himself. I can just picture the care he put into every little detail of the sanding and staining. And for being over 70 years old, it is still in amazing condition.

My Dad had his childhood birthday parties around it.

For Mother's Day in 2007 it was the centerpiece of the tea party I hosted for my Mom and Mother-in-Law...


It held all of the yummy goodies at my baby shower...


I completed dozens and dozens of scrapbook pages sitting at it...



And in the past three years we have had lots of family meals with the boys around it...

 {That's my chunky hunky nephew Noah at Thanksgiving last year}

Lots of living goes on around a dining room table.

But the style didn't fit with what we want for the house anymore, and I found a lovely couple who were very excited to have it in their home. So it went to live with them today. And I shed more than a few tears. But I still have all of the wonderful memories to carry with me.

I hope that one day, their grandchildren will be as attached to it as I was.

On a happier note, we have a new table {from Craigslist!} that I can't wait to share with you. It just needs a little TLC first.

post signature

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love how you will always have the memories and photos to treasure :)

Stephanie said...

Photos are the best! We recently got a new table (after redoing our kitchen) and got rid of the table we bought when we were first married. Aside from our target-nightstands that we still use in our room, it was the last piece of furniture from way back then, 9 years ago. Not nearly as old or sentimental as yours, but I know the feeling a teeny bit. I'm a new follower (from HOH!) so can't wait to see the new table!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...