Tuesday, March 10, 2009

{secret club}



In the short almost 5 years that we have occupied our cute little bungalow, I have grown very connected to it. There is an almost secret club for people that live in bungalows. You come to learn about it as you settle into your home with its quirky architecture, sweet built-ins and sturdy moldings. It becomes a part of your identity. At least for me it has.



So it is very bittersweet for me to be leaving our bungalow, replacing it with a 1960's split level. Big change. Of course your priorities change as you become parents. The layout that I once loved has become my biggest annoyance. I thought it would be great for the nursery to be right off of our bedroom, with no hallway between. Convenient, maybe. But hurrying up the creaky stairs, holding my breath as I open their squeaky door and tiptoe through their room and sneak into our bedroom, shutting the door as quietly as possible and then fumbling through the dark to turn on the TV for some source of light has become a ritual I do not look forward to every night.

In the new house the boys will be able to each have their own room! What a heavenly prospect. And once they are in bed there will be no going into their rooms at night until they wake up at whatever time they decide for a mid-night diaper change and bottle. As much as I dread moving, I can't wait for things to be easier. It is amazing how a house can dictate your life.

Lately I have been standing in different rooms of the house almost saying my goodbyes. I'm getting teary just thinking about it. Despite the frustrations, I love our house. I hope whoever the next owner is loves it as much as I do and becomes a member of the secret bungalow club as well.

7 comments:

Jill said...

I love your little home but I'm sure the new one will be filled with new and much different memories, making it harder to leave that one some day.

I think about my parents selling their house that they still live in and that I grew up in and I get teary eyed too! It's amazing what houses can do to you and your life in them.

I have a suggestion, why don't you get a sketch done of the house to have as a memory. Take pictures of the outside and find an artist that will create your lifetime memory for you!

Mandy Ford Art & Illustration said...

That's a great idea to get a sketch done! I might even be able to do one on the cheap in photoshop! :)

Academichic said...

Your house and the interior (the way you've decorated) is so cute! I love it and can certainly see why you're sad to leave it. Now I'm looking forward to seeing your new space and how you decorate it, you have such a cute style! S.

Academichic said...

Your house and the interior (the way you've decorated) is so cute! I love it and can certainly see why you're sad to leave it. Now I'm looking forward to seeing your new space and how you decorate it, you have such a cute style! S.

Beth @ UnskinnyBoppy said...

Awww, MB. This is such a touching post. It is really amazing how we can get so emotionally attached to a house.

But I completely understand about your needs changing as your family changes. At 2 am when I sent J down two flights of stairs on a search for Tylenol he came back up and said "I'm so ready to move".

I hope your new house is filled with much love, laughter and great memories as your beautiful little bungalow. :hugs:

DianeTaylor said...

I loved this post - and I too am a member, our little house is perfect for us, despite all it's flaws and small rooms. I can't wait to see pics of your new place! Good luck with everything :)

Angela said...

I love this post MB! Your house is precious and you've decorated it perfectly, but I'm so excited to see what you do with the new place!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...