Tuesday, August 31, 2010

{I DIY}

So in between advancing the world of Quakerism (part of my job, people), cleaning toddler noses, and saving the world (moms ARE superheros, right?!) ...

I also like a good DIY project.

I've been collecting ideas for jewelry storage from all over blog-world and have been itching to create something for our bathroom to hold my earrings, necklaces and rings. I was especially inspired by this one from Nishka's Niche's Etsy shop...


And this one from Smart and Sassy with Sprinkles (what a fun blog name!)


I have most of my jewelry stored in our laundry room (don't ask...it works for me, OK?) but I like to keep the pieces I wear the most in the bathroom so I can grab them when I'm getting ready in the morning. My previous system was a little milkglass cup on the bathroom counterfor my rings and earrings, and on occasion our hand towel hook for my necklaces.

It was just a tad dysfunctional.

So enter some creative thinking and this lovely mirror that had never found a new home since we moved into this house...

photo

I first removed the mirror and the hooks. Spray painted the frame white and the hooks with an oil rubbed bronze finish spray paint. Then, I used some brown jewelry wire from Hobby Lobby and staple-gunned (that's a verb, right?) it to the back to create rows for my earrings.

And....voila!

photo

Isn't she gorgeous?

I love how I can see almost all of my earrings now and I'm wearing ones that I didn't typically wear before because they were buried underneath my old standbys.

The hooks work perfectly for my rings and necklaces.

photo

The only thing it lacks is somewhere for my stud earrings. So Mr. Milkglass is still on the counter for now. But even those are easier to see since they aren't tangled up with all of my dangly ones.

And I think it really perks up the corner of the bathroom.

photo

What do you think?

It was a super easy project, and only cost the $1.25 or so for the jewelry wire. (I already had the spray paint from other projects).

Do you have a recent DIY project that you are proud of? I would love to see it!

Shared on...

Todays Creative Blog

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Very cute! And I love the beadboard and the color of your bathroom walls! Um, DIY project??? He weighs 8.8 lbs and is cooing right now. That's the best I've got :)

Jitternhbug said...

Love this idea for your mirror. I actually have the same one. I have been looking for a DIY project to hold my jewelry. Inspiration :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...