Thursday, July 19, 2012

{a lesson in courage}


Have you all heard of Brené Brown?

If you haven't, watch this video first...











She is one of my favorite speakers. And authors. {This book is amazingly wonderful} I had the chance to listen to a free webinar yesterday at work about vulnerability and leadership so I jumped at the chance.

I wasn't sure if it would apply to my life because I don't have much of a leadership role in my office. But after listening I realized we all take on leadership roles in work and in our personal lives, whether we have the title/credentials or not.

I took 2 1/2 pages of notes and wanted to share the best lessons I learned from Brené yesterday, and how they were just the words I needed to hear during a time when I'm struggling with my own identity and purpose.

1. Vulnerability = uncertainty, risk and emotional exposure.

2. Vulnerability works when we set boundaries, and share our feelings in the right context with people we trust. {That "people we trust" is the really important part}

3. Sharing without boundaries is a dangerous thing. {and I'm definitely guilty of this}

      Hello, my name is Mandy and I'm a chronic over-sharer.
    
Please tell me I'm not the only one!?

And this is the best take-away for me...

4. Courage is a daily practice and a collection of choices we make that align with our values. 

Whoa...that one hit me HARD.

I've been struggling lately with feeling conflicted in relationships and not being sure if I'm making the right choices or saying the right things {or, saying TOO many things}.

I need to make a sign out of that one and hang it in my office, and next to my bed, and above our TV, and pretty much everywhere I am throughout the day, because I think it is THAT important right now for me to remember.

Do I even know what my values are?!

I think I do...but I don't think that I have them close enough in my mind and heart, so that when I'm faced with tough situations, I can quickly make a choice that I'll be happy and content with later.

What about you? Does this hit home for your life right now?

Are you clear on your values and do you practice courage everyday in this way? I'd love to hear about your experiences with being courageous, as Brené has defined it.

post signature



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy, I have been following your blog for a while (I don't have a blog of my own)..I just wanted to say that I love this sentiment & am struggling right now to also find my courage to say what I feel but to also stand behind it. I say just stay true to you are & the right thing will happen!
xo
Sandy

Mandy Ford Art & Illustration said...

Hi Sandy! So glad that you commented. Sounds like we are both working at this courage thing. :) Hope you have a great weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...