Saturday, June 04, 2011

{that's a lot of staples!}

My post today is about staples. Lots and lots of staples. Old, yucky, rusty staples.

In our new {to us} dining room chair seats.

While the boys were napping, I thought I would tackle taking the old fabric and padding off of the seats. I was in for just a bit more than I bargained for.

I blogged awhile back about these amazing midcentury modern chairs that we scored on Craigslist. This is how they looked when we purchased them...



They definitely need some TLC, including a refinish and new fabric on the seats.

On a trip to JoAnn fabric, my hubby actually picked out this Alexander Henry fabric...


One that had been on my crush list for awhile now. Needless to say I was a tad excited that he was a fan as well.

So in order to cover said chairs with said fabric, I needed to remove the very old and might I add, disgusting, current covering. And here we goooo...


A screwdriver and pliers were my best friends for this project...


Lots and lots of staples...


And a surprise 2nd layers of fabric underneath the yucky padding...

I had to take the whole thing outside to the trash can because the padding was going everywhere. But after all of that work I ended up with a nice, clean slate {the seat is a bit of a chameleon on our floor, huh? }...


 And yes, I only got one seat finished today. Those staples were a bit of a nightmare. Maybe tomorrow I'll tackle number two.

And for fun here is the seat with the fabric...


I need to buy some padding before I can upholster them, but I wanted to share this work in progress. We're hoping to reunite the chairs with the dining table from the same Craigslist seller soon! 

Have you been working on any DIY projects lately? I would love to hear about them!

1 comment:

sandra said...

i havent commented on any of your posts in a while, but i had to say that i am totally looking forward to an update on these. the fabric is already great. good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...