Monday, December 21, 2009

{bottle free}


My babies aren't quite babies anymore, especially after this past Friday night. That was the night that we banished bottles from the house.

No, not wine bottles. Or beer bottles. We still need those, especially with two toddlers.

We ran out of liners for the playtex variety Friday morning, so that night we decided to finally go baby bottle free at the Ford house. I have to say it was a bit of a bittersweet moment. I mean, I'll be one of the rare moms to say that there isn't much that I miss about their infant days. I don't miss the fragile-I-think-I-might-break-them stage, or the carry-them-around-everywhere stage. But, there is a part of me that really misses the rocking-them-to-sleep-with-a-bottle stage.

Granted, we are still giving them milk at night. But its in a sippy cup, which doesn't have the same feel as a bottle. Landon will attest to that - he wasn't happy AT ALL last night when he woke up at 4 am and I offered him a sippy cup of milk to calm him down. There was no calming down that boy unless a nipple was involved...a silicone one, that is. But, we made it through and he finally gave into the fact that if he wanted milk, it was coming out of a sippy cup.

But I must say that the hubs and I feel rather victorious now that we can say we are bottle free.

In other "my babies aren't quite babies anymore" news, the boys are also really getting into feeding themselves, and also brushing their own teeth. They get so excited when we hand them their toddler-sized plastic fork, and when we finish doing their actual teeth brushing and let them hold it and do their own thing. It is so fun to see them realizing their independence one little step at a time.

My boys sure are growing up fast. I would love to keep them at this stage for awhile longer. It has definitely become my favorite.

3 comments:

The Walters Crew said...

So many people have told me that 18 months is a great age! I'm enjoying Alex at every stage, but I'm really looking forward to this summer, when I think we'll really start having fun! :)

Unknown said...

It is a little bitter-sweet, isn't it? You want them to grow and become independent, but you still want to hold on to that little baby aspect, too.

Yay that they're finally off the bottle! You'll save a bundle not having to buy the liners all the time.

April said...

Oh, I wish I could get Evan to brush his own teeth. We have to let him pick a toy to watch him brush his teeth and most nights it takes one of us holding him and the other to physically brush the child's teeth. Oh well. I guess you win some and you lose some. Giving up the bottle is so hard. It really is an admission that they're not babies anymore.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...